This is a suggestion for intra-club play. This could easily be modified to fit some form of league play or inter-club rules as well.
Ryder Cup for Intra-club
- club must designate two team captians and a cup commissioner: one for the international squad and the other for the US. The commissioner could also be a participant.
- club captains submit their seedings for singles and pairs independently, to the cup commissioner. The seedings can be in any order of skill. Captains may play who ever they like in any perceived “seed”, but only once per event type. (this is the charm of Ryder cup) Every team member will not participate in every event.
- each participant is assigned to the team of his wgt nationality
- play n number of head to head singles matches. One point is awarded for a win. If tied at the end of play, players will drop match and record 1/2 point each.
- play m number of alternate shot matches. One point is awarded for a win. If tied at the end of play, players will drop match and record 1/2 point each.
- play m number of 4 man team skins. 1 point for win. (in Ryder, this is fourball)
- (optional: m number of 4 man blitz. 1 point for win)
- in Ryder cup n=12 and m=8. For intra-club the numbers likely will be much smaller, say 6 and 4. Singles could be augmented to include an odd number to assure that there is an outright winner.
- Cup can be repeated over and over to feature different courses and count toward a cumulative score.
- a 6/4/4 format would be appropriate for a team of 9-12.
- The captains may, at there discretion, sub an alternate for a team player that is tardy in getting his/her match played.
- The commissioner will receive and post matchups and results.